The short answer is: No, and unfortunately, it is a huge risk to do so.
We understand that you made an investment in FOP, however we have seen the number of support cases that are related to FOP increase due to the issues that FOP has.
You can use Ecrion Develop™ as a replacement for FOP. It has a low price point and is specifically built to handle even the most complex templates designed in Ecrion Design Studio. Ecrion has the fastest XML rendering engine on the market and we have the benchmarks to prove it. Over 1000 customers use our rendering engine, a mature product which is continuously being improved, now with support for over 20 output formats including PDF, Word, Postscript, TIFF and more.
We have compiled a list of FOP issues that showed up in support cases during the years. Unfortunately, many of these issues don't show up during development, but instead they show up in production environments, when it is much harder to predict how real data will affect your output documents.
Here are some of the limitations that FOP has:
- No support for very large documents (OutOfMemory exceptions are frequent)
- Speed is also an issue
- Reliability is also an issue (infinite loops).
- Several output formats are not supported: HTML, Word, PowerPoint, AFP, etc.
- Due to lack of compliance with XSL-FO 1.1, the following elements are not supported: flow maps, folio prefix/suffix, indexes, table markers and more.
- In addition, because XSL-FO 1.0 implementation is incomplete, several mandatory elements are not available, including inline-container, float, table-and-caption, floats, etc.
- Note that incomplete XSL-FO 1.0 attributes are very difficult to spot. This include lack of font selection strategy, font variant (small caps), but also various common shorthand properties (like “background”).
- We had customers experience issues when using footnotes. This is a major problem if you have documents that must follow strict proximity rules (such as compliance rules defined by financial organizations like FINRA or SEC).
- Advanced number formatting is non-existent (grouping separator, grouping size, etc).
- Right-to-left writing and more advanced support for Unicode languages is not present. For example mark to ligature and GPOS glyph positioning and other features needed for correct rendering of Arabic and Hebrew scripts.
- Many features that are needed in a day to day work environment are not available:
- Printing control of a document via Printing Options
- Support for Cascaded Stylesheets (CSS files)
- The ability to work with multiple inputs (merge operations), apply overlays, imposition, etc.
- Support for Forms
- Support for Charts, 3D Objects, Video and more
- Ability to work with PDF documents (for example append them to a document generated dynamically from XML, use them as a background image), etc.
- Variable Data Printing (VDP), Transpromo, etc.
Most importantly, FOP is a product that it not supported by any commercial company. Periodic releases with bug fixes and new features are very rare.
Please don't hesitate to contact our support team if you need assistance in transitioning to Ecrion Develop™. We understand this is a difficult challenge, and we are here to help.