This article will look at how to format a field’s value based on its type. Using formatting you will be able to easily change the structure of your data source values to be presented just the way you intend in the final output.
- Open a Publisher template.
- From the Design Surface select a field at your choice (ex. InvoiceDate) for which you want to apply formatting to, you will notice the selection immediately in the Design Surface.
- Right click on the selected field and choose the “Format” option from the contextual menu.
- In the “Formatting” dialog, select the type of formatting you wish to apply to your field by selecting an option from the data value types list, from the left side.
- From the right side of the “Formatting” dialog, you have the possibility to either choose from some predefined data type formats or insert your own custom format, according to your needs. These options will change depending on the data type that you have selected.
a. Select the “Predefined” radio button, if your final result can be found in the formats available under this section.
b. Select the “Custom” radio button, if you want to create a more personalized format. (ex. dd MMMM yyyy)
- Once the formatting specifications are completed, select “Save” to successfully apply your changes to your template. To preview the output, switch to the “Print View” mode.